Scientology Critical Information Directory

This site is best viewed using a highly standards-compliant browser

L. Ron Hubbard's death

L. Ron Hubbard died on January, 24, 1986:
  • 16 January 1986: L. Ron Hubbard has a stroke (as per his Scientologist doctor Gene Denk). [ref]
  • 19 January 1986: Flag Order 3879, signed by Hubbard, in which Pat & Annie Broeker are promoted to "Loyal Officers," directly under Hubbard, above David Miscavige. [ref]
  • 20 January 1986: A Certificate of Religious Beliefs is issued, signed by Hubbard, in which he objects to any autopsy. Pat & Annie Broeker signatures appear on the certificate. [ref]
  • 23 January 1986: A new will is issued, signed by Hubbard, in which he states that virtually all of his estate will go to Author's Family Trust B – a proxy for the yet to be incorporated Church of Spiritual Technology. Annie is designated second executor, after Norman Starkey. Pat & Annie Broeker signatures appear on the will. [ref]
  • 24 January 1986: Hubbard is reportedly found dead at 20H00. [ref]
  • 25 January 1986: Hubbard's death is reported to the coroner at 07H30. [ref]
  • 27 January 1986: Hubbard's death is officially announced. [ref]
  • 29 January 1986: Michael Flynn is quoted in the media: “there were going to be indictements announced against Hubbard in the next couple of days” [ref]; “it's just incredible coincidence that the week indictements are expected Hubbard dies and there's no body” [ref]
  • 18 April 1988: Religious Technology Center cancels Flag Order 3879. [ref]

The timing is interesting, and hopefully Pat and Annie Broeker's knowledge won't go down the memory hole. According to this article published in the St. Petersburg Times on November 14, 2009, when Annie Broeker left the Church of Scientology compound without permission on November 17, 1992, this was considered a "five-alarm fire."

More items found in the Scientology library: “Hubbard's death”.

Sea Organization (January 19, 1986): "Flag Order 3879 - The Sea Org & The Future"

19 January 1986


I, LRH, Commodore, am hereby assuming the rank of ADMIRAL.

The rank of COMMODORE IS RETIRED FROM ACTIVE SERVICE in the Sea Organization at this time. As we move on up the track the Commodore rank will be reinstated as will be needed.

A new rank of LOYAL OFFICER is created directly above the rank of Captain.

Pat Broeker is hereby promoted to the first LOYAL OFFICER rank.

Annie Broeker is hereby promoted as the second LOYAL OFFICER.

There are several Sea Org Officers they will want to promote.

The SEA ORGANIZATION will always be the Sea Organization, no matter that we may leave the surface of this planet when we're finished and operate on others (hopefully not too many devoid of seas  joke) and no matter what we will operate, in general, throughout the universe  solid, liquid, gaseous, and yes,  there are other states of matter, which are ours for the taking because nobody else seems to know about them.

I'll be scouting the way and doing the first port survey missions. I expect your continuing backup. You've got a little under a billion left on your current hitch, and it is hoped you will sign up again  veterans are valuable!

So, there it is. You know what to do. You know how to do it. Hold the form of the S.O.! You've got the watch!!

I will be in comm.

We will meet again later.


L. Ron Hubbard (January 20, 1986): "Certificate of Religious Beliefs"

I, LaFayette Ronald Hubbard, declare:

1) I am a resident of the State of California and over eighteen (18) years of age.

2) Based upon my religious beliefs, I object to any and all post mortem anatomical dissections or other autopsy procedures being conducted on my body. Such autopsy procedures would violate my religious convictions.

In witness whereof, I have executed this Certificate of Religious Belief this 20th day of January, 1986.


1. Patrick D. Broeker, Star Route Creston, Creston, CA 93432.
2. Anne M. Broeker, Star Route Creston, Creston, CA 93432.
3. Stephen J. Pfauth, Star Route Creston, Creston, CA 93432.

L. Ron Hubbard (January 23, 1986): "Last Will and Testament"


SIXTH: I give, devise and bequeath all of the rest, residue and remainder of my estate, whether real, personal or mixed and wheresoever situated, including all lapsed and failed gifts, and including, but not limited to the following:

(a) My entire right, title, and interest in and to my name, voice, signature, photograph, and likeness, together with any trademark and service marks composed of and/or utilizing same and all registrations and applications for registration of such trademarks and service marks.


(f) All property over which I may have power of appointment by Will.

to the then-acting Trustee, or Trustees, under the AUTHOR'S FAMILY TRUST-B, earlier established today by written agreement bearing the date of this WILL. [...]

SEVENTH: I declare that, except as otherwise provided in this WILL and in the Trust Agreement establishing the AUTHOR'S FAMILY TRUST-B, I have intentionally and with full knowledge omitted to provide herein for any of my heirs who may be living at the time of my death, [...]


Executed on 23 January, 1986 at Creston, Ca.


County of San Luis Obispo (January 25, 1986): “Certificate of Death”
Church of Scientology (January 27, 1986): Death of L. Ron Hubbard official announcement

[Above is Part 1. Continue onto Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5]

Office of the Sheriff-Coroner (January 28, 1986): “REPORT ON POST MORTEM EXAMINATION NO. 86-A-015”
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: The body of a tall white male said to have been in his 70's. The body shows abundant reddish-white facial hair and eyebrows of reddish-whitecolor. Scalp hair is long, thinning, receding at the forehead and of greyish-white color. Reddish-white body hair is present on the surface. Fingernails are long, unkempt. Nail beds are of bluish-red discoloration. Toenails are long, unkempt and there is bluish-red cyanosis present. The back is covered by livores. There is a bandaide affixed to the right gluteal area where 10 recent needle marks are recognized of 5-8 cm. There are no abnormalities upon inspection of the back. The body is without bruises or injuries or palpable masses. Post mortem examination was refused because of religious reasons. The case was brought to the attention of the District Attorney's office, Dan Hilford, who advised immediate toxicology be performed on body fluids.
Constitution Tribune (January 28, 1986): "Church of Scientology founder dies" by AP
L. Ron Hubbard, a science fiction writer whose often embattled Church of Scientology has grown to at least 2 million members during its three decades, has died at age 74, Scientology officials say.

Hubbard, who had not been seen in public since 1980, died of a stroke Friday at his ranch near San Luis Obispo, Heber Jentzsch, president of the Church of Scientology International, said Monday night.

Hubbard's ashes were scattered at sea Sunday, after his body was examined by the San Luis Obispo County coroner's office, Scientology officials said.

Sea Organization (April 18, 1988): "Flag Order 3879 Cancelled" (


FLAG ORDER 3879 CANCELLED Originally dated 19 Jan 1986,
issued in March 1986,
BPI cancelled l8 April 1988

Execs and Staff
 All Orgs

Public Notice Boards
 in all orgs


Flag Order 3879 of 19 January 1986, entitled THE SEA ORG & THE FUTURE, stated that Pat Broeker and Annie Broeker had been promoted to the rank of "Loyal Officer". In the months that followed after this FO was issued, it was found that they were involved in a serious out-ethics situation. On 17 July 1987, they were confronted with the fact of their out-ethics and they resigned this rank.

Full investigation revealed that the Flag Order 3879, THE SEA ORG & THE FUTURE, had not in fact been written by or seen by LRH, nor were the contents of the issue based on any advice, request or note from LRH. The Flag Order was fabricated by Pat Broeker.

Therefore, Flag Order 3879, THE SEA ORG & THE FUTURE, is CANCELLED.

With the cancellation of this FO the rank of "Loyal Officer" is also hereby cancelled, as there is no such Sea Org rank in any Source materials.

In a further attempt to boost his status, Broeker had claimed to have worked closely with LRH during several years prior to January 1986. Thorough investigation has since revealed the fact that during the time period Pat Broeker asserted he was "working close to LRH", Broeker was absent for extended periods or time under false pretenses and was in fact almost never at the same location that LRH was.

Additionally, when he was with LRH prior to 1986, he was there only as domestic staff, not in any technical or administrative capacity.

Pat and Annie Broeker are currently under standard Justice handling and are being dealt with appropriately.

Though LRH did not write the FO "THE SEA ORG & THE FUTURE," his estate planning definitely took into account the future of Scientology® and the Sea Org and this is being executed as intended. LRH also made plans for the eternal existence of Scientology technology, which he commented on in Ron's Journal 34, THE FUTURE OF SCIENTOLOGY, and these plans have been activated and are being cared for by the appropriate Church executives.

LRH's intentions with regards what needs to be done in and with Scientology were clearly expressed in his HCOBs, HCOTMPLs, EDs, tapes and advices, including directions for the issuance of previously unreleased materials which are being complied with.


    Operation Clambake: "The death of L Ron Hubbard"

The Church of Scientology is loudly voicing their strong resistance to what they call "psych drugs". It is therefore ironic that the founder of Dianetics and Scientology, L Ron Hubbard, was taking a "psych drug" when he died. This is not unusual in itself, since bitter old men often go psychotic when dying. Witnesses testified that Hubbard died acting like a raving lunatic.

This is from the 1983 edition of the Physician's Desk Reference, pg 1571. It was a couple years out of date when Hubbard died. Vistaril is the psych drug found in Hubbard's body.

"The Mysterious Death of L. Ron Hubbard"

He had achieved success beyond his wildest dreams; wealth, fame and the adulation of thousands of devoted adherents.

Yet for the last five years of his life, L. Ron Hubbard, founder of Scientology, dwelt, a virtual prisoner of his own paranoia,  a recluse in self-imposed exile, on a ranch in the desert of Creston, California. Surrounded by a handful of trusted aides, he handed over the running of his multimillion dollar empire to a chosen few. Even his wife was cut off - after she got out of prison after serving a sentence for her part in the notorious Snow White case, she never saw her husband again.

In fact, few did. Fearing indictment in the Snow White case, Hubbard fled to the desert in the early 80s, leaving behind his role as de facto controller of the Scientology empire and taking with him only a handful of trusted aides, mostly those now-grown messengers from the Commodore's Messenger Org, who had, in some cases literally, grown up under the Machiavellian tutelage of Hubbard, and became his emissaries to the empire he oversaw.

Robert Vaughn Young (Sep. 1998): "RVY Update by RVY"

When Hubbard died, everything changed. (duh) I went to the death site (his ranch at Creston, near San Luis Obispo CA) that night along with David Miscavige and some attorneys. Since none of us — including Miscavige — had ever been there, we were met at a restaurant by Pat Broeker who took us to the ranch. We arrived at perhaps 4 a.m. (Hubbard was found dead at about 8 p.m. I was told at 10. We left LA at perhaps 1 a.m. I wasn't always watching the clock, given the circumstances.)

What's amusing in the cult's attempt to DA me is their saying that I went to the ranch along with some gardeners and cooks. Right. Gardeners and cooks were the first to be rushed up that night, before the authorities were called or the body taken away. ROFL! Don't you just love these guys!

Creston was where the story was put together that he had moved on to the next level of research, or however it was worded, when it was announced at the Palladium and to the world. The event was so carefully constructed that no one noticed that something essential was missing, but Ill get to that in a moment. But during the event, I stayed at the ranch to deal with any media who might show up or call. None did and less than 48 hours later, the Challenger space shuttle blew up, bumping news of his death and any serious questions from the media. I was monitoring the TV news via a satellite dish and watched it happen and reported it. While the rest of the world was in shock, DM was happy because we had been bumped from the news. But that is how one comes to view the world at that echelon.

Jon Atack (1990): "A Piece of Blue Sky: Chapter 4 - Dropping the Body"

The Independent Scientology movement owed its origins in part to the uncertainty surrounding Hubbard's disappearance in 1980. There was an unwillingness to ascribe the bizarre actions of Church management to the Founder. Many Independents thought Hubbard had died, or even been murdered, and that his name was being used to maintain the authority of the young rulers. It was the new management's apparent betrayal of Hubbard's principles that persuaded many to leave the Church, so that they could better realize what they considered to be Hubbard's aims. Conversely, many of those who stayed in the Church must have believed that the new management really did represent Hubbard. They were almost certainly right.

Rumors of Hubbard's whereabouts circulated freely. He was on Catalina island, or in Missouri; he had taken to the sea again, or was in Ireland. News of repeated applications for entry to Britain (which were always turned down) led to the belief that he was trying to return to Saint Hill. In 1985, two Los Angeles Times journalists bruited it about that Hubbard was just north of Santa Barbara. They came closer than anyone else.

Hubbard died at 8:00 p.m. on Friday, January 24, 1986, at his ranch near Creston, in California. He was attended by his doctor, Eugene Denk, and at least two other Scientologists. Church attorney Earle Cooley, who had defended against the Christofferson-Tichbourne suit, was informed. He advised that nothing be done before his arrival from Los Angeles, when he took charge. Cooley was with Hubbard's body from that moment until the ashes were scattered at sea. The body was kept at the ranch for over eleven hours before being collected by Reis Chapel mortuary in San Luis Obispo on Saturday morning. The mortuary notified the coroner's office, concerned that Cooley had made a request for immediate cremation. Dr. Denk reported that Hubbard had died "several days" after suffering a brain hemorrhage, and indicated on the death certificate that the cause of death was a "cerebral vascular accident," a stroke. [...]

Russel Miller (1987): "Bare-Faced Messiah: The True Story Of L. Ron Hubbard - Missing, Presumed Dead"

Cooley accompanied the body back to San Luis Obispo. At the Reis Chapel, a tasteful white adobe building with a red pantile roof on Nipomo Street, he asked Mrs Reis if arrangements could be made for an 'immediate cremation'. He presented a death certificate signed by a Gene Denk of Los Angeles certifying the cause of death as cerebral haemorrhage and a certificate of religious belief forbidding an autopsy. It was not until Mrs Reis looked at the documents that she realized the body lying in her chapel was that of L. Ron Hubbard.