Scientology Critical Information Directory

This site is best viewed using a highly standards-compliant browser

Introspection Rundown ("baby watching", "isolation watch")

«A therapy for handling psychotic breaks in the cult. Involves locking the person up to prevent bad PR with the isolation step, also called "baby watch". Sometimes instilling such wacky ideas as Xenu, Body Thetans and OT III can make people a bit unstable; the IRD is used to contain people when they flip out.» — The ARS Acronym/Terminology FAQ v3.5 by Martin Hunt.

Lisa McPherson Memorial Page: Isolation as a Scientology practice

A "rundown" in Scientology is a series of prescribed steps designed to produce a certain end result. These steps involve "auditing", which is looking back through a person's past to find some memory that is causing the person present time problems. The Introspection Rundown is designed to handle a psychotic break or mental breakdown. The theory of the Introspection Rundown is that if you can find what caused the person to become introverted and psychotic then you can handle that cause and break the psychotic episode.

The first step of the rundown is "isolate the person wholly with all attendants completely muzzled (no speech)." [1] Auditing sessions are given infrequently to search for the cause of the psychotic break during this rundown, otherwise the person is isolated in complete silence.

Mark Plummer: "How Scientology Justifies Locking People Up In Isolation"
My guess is that Hubbard foresaw failures in handling psychotics with his methods. Unlikely however, is the possibility that he ever considered people would DIE while undergoing "treatment" with Scientology's methods, especially by certain procedures contained in his Introspection Rundown. Sadly, Lisa McPherson is one such person who died as a result of negligence from her Scientologist "friends". She had been held in isolation at Scientology's facility in Clearwater, Florida for seventeen days, during which time her body weight dropped an estimated 47 pounds, going from about 155 pounds down to 108 pounds!
Jeff Jacobsen: "CCHR - Human Rights organization attacks its 'enemies': Scientology's alternative to psychiatry"
What right does the church have to incarcerate mentally unstable people? What training do they have to prevent injury to the unstable person? What recourse or input does the person incarcerated have? What criteria are used to decide that the isolation is no longer needed? What training do the supervisors get to make such a decision over the length of someone's incarceration? How many people have gotten worse instead of better? What happens if a person never gets better, since Scientology considers psychiatry to be quack science? How long can isolation be maintained? Months? Years?

On December 5, 1995, Lisa McPherson was dead on arrival at a hospital 45 minutes north of Clearwater Florida. According to the coroner's report, Lisa was underweight, severely dehydrated, and had bruises and bug bites.

General Report on Scientology — Declaration of Jonathan Caven-Atack (9 April 1995)
46. While aboard ship during the early 1970s, Hubbard introduced " isolation watches" where an individual is forcibly confined after a "psychotic break" (a mental breakdown, usually caused by Scientology's hypnotic procedures). Such people can be held for weeks under 24-hour guard [JCA-104], [JCA-105]. The procedure is referred to as "babywatching" or "babysitting" in Scientology. In 1994, The Independent newspaper in Britain published an account of "babywatching" [JCA-106]. HCO Ethics Order 2543 of 28 September 1993, concerning Heidi Degro, makes it clear that the practice is still in use [JCA-105]. Indeed, the practice forms a part of Scientology's incontrovertible "scripture" [JCA-104].
The Lisa McPherson Clause: Scientology Moving to Secure Its 'Right' to Kill Again
Scientology killed Lisa McPherson in Clearwater, Florida, on December 5, 1995. She was held against her will for 17 days, denied medical care, and forcibly sedated. When her guards tried to force her to undergo the Introspection Rundown and she refused, she was kept in an isolation lock-down until she died from severe dehydration. Forensic entomologists later identified 110 cockroach feeding sites on her body, and three nationally prominent forensic pathologists opined that the manner of death was "homicide". (The pathologists were Calvin Bandt, M.D. (affidavit), Werner Spitz, M.D. (affidavit), and John Coe, M.D.)
Affidavit of Martin Ottmann (19 April 1996): Nervous Breakdowns, Collapses, Etc.
My roommate at the Hacienda, Len Thomas, told me in 1991, that he had to watch a public at the Sandcastle, who had gone "PTS Type III" after auditing (PTS Type III = someone, who has gone crazy). He said that the woman was put into a room, which she couldn’t leave and that he had to watch her, without saying anything to her until she would get better.

Few days later, when I asked him about that woman, he told me, that she was sent home, after she had calmed down.

Wikipedia: Introspection Rundown
The Introspection Rundown is a Church of Scientology procedure that is intended to handle a psychotic break or complete mental breakdown. Other words for this condition include, "raving maniac." Introspection is defined for the purpose of this rundown as a condition where the person is: "looking into one's own mind, feelings, reactions, etc." The end result or "the end phenomena of the Introspection Rundown is the person extroverted, no longer looking inward worriedly continuously without end." (Technical Bulletins X, published by Bridge Publications, Inc. ISBN 0-88404-481-5 copyright 1991).

The rundown was created by L. Ron Hubbard, founder of Scientology, and released 24 January 1974 [1].

The Introspection Rundown came to controversial public attention after the death of Lisa McPherson on the rundown in 1995. The Church of Scientology now requires members sign a waiver specifically against suing the Church over injury or death before taking the Introspection Rundown.

Anonymous offering, 80's Flag, extreme predicaments of Sea Org life
Another time, I got really sick and couldn't keep any food or water down. After losing a lot of weight and not getting better after a couple weeks I was sent to ethics and put in isolation in a room in the FH [Fort Harrison]. Again, I was "enturbulating" my husband by being PTS. The door was locked, and only the MLO came a few times a day to bring "cal-mag" and vitamins and soup. I was pretty freaked out, and thought I was going to die there all alone in that dark, stinky moldy room, but I knew if I made a fuss I would NEVER get out, so I was very cooperative.
Mary McConnel (Dec. 2006): "Death of a Scientologist"
My friend Dale Bogen was on the Introspection RD at American Saint Hill in 1984 and apparently they thought she was safe enough to go home but instead, she drove her car up the rode to the Los Angeles Mountain area, got out of the car with the engine running and stuck a rag in the exhaust pipe; she then got back in the car, locked the doors and escaped the problem of having to endure further degradation from her 'church' by letting the carbon monoxide poison take her away from the pain and confusion Scientology never knew how to help.

She was found in the morning. ASHO's Bob Schaffner it's the one who informed me when I inquired months later after returning from being out of town.

Bob, himself, died in a preventable accident  but there are other people who know about what happened to Dale Bogen and I pray they come to their senses and contact me so the truth can be exposed.

CBS News (Jan. 1998): "Public Eye: Lisa McPherson" @ Xenu TV
Los Angeles Times (Jan. 1990): "Captivity Case May Be Tied to Faith" by John H. Lee and John Johnson
The woman was incoherent and had bruises and scratches on her legs, wrists and neck, police said.  She was kept behind a door into which a small, square opening was cut and steel bars had been inserted, police said.

Her husband, Edwin Coenan, 41, was arrested the same day and booked on suspicion of false imprisonment and endangering a dependent adult.  He has been released on $5,000 bail, and no charges have been filed.

The woman's father and stepmother, Floyd and Audrey Twede, as well as the victim's half-brother, Steven, are also under investigation, police said. The Twedes rented the house on Rolling Hills Drive where the woman was confined.

Police said they saw Scientology printed material in the house and plan to review documents written by Scientology's late founder L. Ron Hubbard that describe how to treat mental breakdowns.  In the documents, Hubbard recommended isolation as a treatment and also warned his followers to avoid conventional psychiatric care.

The Independent (Jan. 1994): "The Prisoners of Saint Hill" by Tim Kelsey and Mike Ricks
According to eyewitnesses, the man, whose name is known to the "Independent", was taken to an isolated room in a communal building not far from Saint Hill, a 17th-century manor house in East Grinstead, West Sussex, and the UK headquarters of the cult.

For two weeks, the room was locked. The German had been placed on an "isolation watch" - or what Scientologists more informally refer to as a "baby watch". It is a treatment that was prescribed by the founder of the cult, L. Ron Hubbard, a science fiction writer, for members showing signs of psychosis or mental ill- health -- people who are, literally, plagued by evil spirits. It is the last resort for dealing with difficult Scientologists. It is a treatment that the organisation has so far kept secret.

St. Petersburg Times (Dec. 1998): "Former Scientologist shares familiar tale of force-feeding" by Thomas C. Tobin
A former Scientologist from Denmark said Friday that he helped force bread, fruit and liquids into the throat of an unconscious woman as part of an effort help her recover from a mental breakdown.

Karsten Lorenzen's detailed account at a news conference held by a group of Scientology critics resembles the experience of Lisa McPherson, as documented by state investigators and Clearwater police. McPherson was the 36-year-old Scientologist whose 1995 death has resulted in criminal charges of abuse and practicing medicine without a license against the Church of Scientology in Clearwater.

McPherson, too, was recovering from a mental breakdown, and records show church staffers forced medicine and food into her throat.

Here is a detailed account of the story reported in the newspaper.
Affidavit of Jesse Prince (20 August 1999)
30. A major part of the trauma a person experiences in Scientology's "isolation" treatment is the person's struggle to get away or to get out of the room they are being confined in.  The young woman I had to "iso watch" had numerous injuries as a result of her beating on the walls and the door trying to get away.  She would drift in and out of her psychotic state.  I was informed by the security guard watching over us all that her family was desperately trying to find her and during the times when she was "okay" I had to let her call her mother after I told her what to say.  I held a separate phone while she talked to her family and when things started to get "weird" I would end the conversation.  She would tell her mother that she was okay and would be home soon.  During this time she became very upset with me because I made her see a doctor she did not know and who was not allowed to talk to her while he was giving her shots.  She physically attacked me on more than one occasion.  This was a public relations nightmare for Scientology and this is why she was told to lie to her family about what was really going on with her. This went on for two months.  After she seemed stable for a week and completed the "Introspection Rundown" she was made to sign a release form which in essence said Scientology was not responsible for what had happened to her and she was quickly sent home.
Affidavit of Roxanne Friend (6 December 1991)
17. In December 1989 I went back to Florida for the purpose of doing a process called the Purification Rundown but was again forced to do the Introspection Rundown auditing. I left without Case Supervisor approval which was always required prior to leaving the Flag Land Base in Florida. I left in the middle of the night and took a taxi to a hotel near Tampa airport because I did not want to be on Scientology premises or continue the Introspection Rundown. Also, I made phone calls to the Clearwater, Florida or Tampa, Florida police saying that I was being held against my will. The Scientologists had the phone in my room cut off when I did this.
Declaration of [name witheld] (19 December 1994)
I was put onto an Audited Rundown called the "Introspection Rundown."  This rundown I do not know a large amount of information about. But simply the name of it implies that it is intended to be given to people who are manifesting introversion of some particular nature. I have been shown a photocopied page of the bulletin which outlines the Introspection Rundown and it stated something along these lines — "the Introspection Rundown is applied to people who make continual originations to the examiner and are particularly interested in their case."  That is what I was shown as the LRH reference which is being applied as to why I was put through this horrible experience of being Audited on a Rundown that I never needed in the first place.
Affidavit of Stacy Brooks Young (9 March 1994)
119. The first step is to isolate the person completely from everyone except the people assigned to watch over the person. This is called "Isolation Watch." I was assigned to watch this girl, so I studied the issues to ensure I would handle her correctly. We were not to say a word around her. She was to have complete silence to allow her to calm down (to allow her body thetans to go back to sleep, although she could not be told about this, since she was not up to that level in her processing). This went on for many days as she was in a serious psychotic incident. None of the people assigned to watch her had any formal training in dealing with psychosis. [...]

124. Cat was taken to the home of a wealthy Scientologist outside of Los Angeles. The house was surrounded with woods and there were no other houses in sight. There Cat was kept under 24 hour watch, known as "Isolation Watch" because the person is isolated from everyone except those on the "watch." Although I was not assigned to watch her, I was told that Cat became extremely violent on several occasions, that she tried to jump through a plate glass window, that she repeatedly said she wanted to kill herself, and that she had no idea who she was or what she was doing. This went on for several months.